Just Be
I was up late last night. I thought that ER would be on so after I had read aloud to John from “Just a Geek” for about an hour (have I mentioned I totally love that he lets me read books to him? It’s great. We’re moving on to either Erma Bombeck or Michael Jan Friedman next), I went out to the living room to watch one of my favorites. Law and Order was on instead. I started flipping through channels and came across an old favorite – Judging Amy.
The show isn’t that old, but “old favorite” just sounds comfortable. So I lay on our nice new couch from John’s aunt and watched the show until 11:00. It was the episode where Vincent (Amy’s younger brother) gets shot while stopping a robber from hurting a young woman.
At the end Vincent is downstairs at Amy and Maxine’s (the mother) house doing laundry. Maxine comes down to help him and they start chatting.
“After Amy was born,” Maxine said. “I thought, ‘Perfect. One boy, one girl. But your daddy. . .he convinced me to have another.”
“Are you saying you didn’t want me?” Vincent says half jokingly.
“Only in the abstract.” Tyne Daly answers in that thoughtful way she has. “You grew on me after a while.”
Maxine starts to walk up the stairs and Vincent stops her saying, “Mom? What’d Dad want me to be?”
::pause::
“Happy.” She answers back, and it’s left at that.
Now, whether Vincent was asking if his dad wanted another boy or another girl, or if he was asking what his father wanted him to do for a living when he grew up. . .well, I haven’t a clue. But it’s a profound and moving moment to me nonetheless. I really enjoy that show. It never fails to give you something to think about.
::Warning - Here comes the rant::
With all the useless drivel that they put on TV these days it is always wonderful to turn it on and see a show like Judging Amy still thriving. ER has declined in quality over the years, but has never compromised principles as all these silly reality shows do. Friends was a phenomenal show but at least they went out on top. Just like Star Trek: TNG did. That’s always a good idea. ER should have taken it’s cue from TNG and Friends.
I’m sick of reality TV. I’m sick of the WB having shows that start off great and then just can’t stay away from morally debasing subjects (i.e. Everwood and Seventh Heaven). At first it’s all safe to watch with your kids (or with your parents, if you’re an embarrassed teenager) and then they have to get into sex or drugs or whatnot. It’s annoying is what it is.
My relief from all that is Judging Amy on Tuesdays and Airline on Mondays. If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend checking out Airline. It’s on A&E (which, along with discovery and animal planet, offers amazing programming that is safe and enjoyable for all) usually at 8:00. Sometimes they switch it a bit so check your listings. But I hate flying and yet I love that show. Go figure.
So, there’s my little thought for the day. I’d like to just be happy. Simply and magically happy. It’s not nearly as easy as you think it is when you’re, say, five years old. Why can’t it ever stay that easy?
It’s always darkest before they turn on a light. – Anything Goes
The show isn’t that old, but “old favorite” just sounds comfortable. So I lay on our nice new couch from John’s aunt and watched the show until 11:00. It was the episode where Vincent (Amy’s younger brother) gets shot while stopping a robber from hurting a young woman.
At the end Vincent is downstairs at Amy and Maxine’s (the mother) house doing laundry. Maxine comes down to help him and they start chatting.
“After Amy was born,” Maxine said. “I thought, ‘Perfect. One boy, one girl. But your daddy. . .he convinced me to have another.”
“Are you saying you didn’t want me?” Vincent says half jokingly.
“Only in the abstract.” Tyne Daly answers in that thoughtful way she has. “You grew on me after a while.”
Maxine starts to walk up the stairs and Vincent stops her saying, “Mom? What’d Dad want me to be?”
::pause::
“Happy.” She answers back, and it’s left at that.
Now, whether Vincent was asking if his dad wanted another boy or another girl, or if he was asking what his father wanted him to do for a living when he grew up. . .well, I haven’t a clue. But it’s a profound and moving moment to me nonetheless. I really enjoy that show. It never fails to give you something to think about.
::Warning - Here comes the rant::
With all the useless drivel that they put on TV these days it is always wonderful to turn it on and see a show like Judging Amy still thriving. ER has declined in quality over the years, but has never compromised principles as all these silly reality shows do. Friends was a phenomenal show but at least they went out on top. Just like Star Trek: TNG did. That’s always a good idea. ER should have taken it’s cue from TNG and Friends.
I’m sick of reality TV. I’m sick of the WB having shows that start off great and then just can’t stay away from morally debasing subjects (i.e. Everwood and Seventh Heaven). At first it’s all safe to watch with your kids (or with your parents, if you’re an embarrassed teenager) and then they have to get into sex or drugs or whatnot. It’s annoying is what it is.
My relief from all that is Judging Amy on Tuesdays and Airline on Mondays. If you haven’t seen it I highly recommend checking out Airline. It’s on A&E (which, along with discovery and animal planet, offers amazing programming that is safe and enjoyable for all) usually at 8:00. Sometimes they switch it a bit so check your listings. But I hate flying and yet I love that show. Go figure.
So, there’s my little thought for the day. I’d like to just be happy. Simply and magically happy. It’s not nearly as easy as you think it is when you’re, say, five years old. Why can’t it ever stay that easy?
It’s always darkest before they turn on a light. – Anything Goes
Comments