Man, what are you doing here?
It's nine o'clock on a Saturday. . .
In the morning, that is. And guess where I am. Nope, not at home snuggled up on the couch with a good book. Nope, not out hanging out with Sarah and Paul. Nope, not even off visiting with my parents.
I am at work.
You heard right. Work.
Ever since I started here back in February my boss has occasionally said on a Friday that if I want to I'm welcome to come in on the weekend. Now, we all know that when a boss says "welcome to" it means "come in on the weekend and get some work done or you're not going to be here long". Thing is, I haven't been able to the three or four other times he's asked due to one reason or another. Once it was because we were leaving for CIII soon and I hadn't finished packing and such.
The weekends are my own. That's the time I have to myself so that I won't kill my co-workers during normal business hours. But here I am. I'm a temp and I figure if I want to stay here as long as the other temps have (one of them three years) I'd better come in occasionally.
I pulled into the employee parking lot on the side of EMC and noticed I was the ONLY car there. I thought that was odd but proceeded to walk up to the side entrance that employees use during the week. I swipe my ID card. . . nothing. So I walked (I should have driven; it's a big building) around to the front entrance. Swiped my card. . . nothing.
I had to knock on the glass and the security guy, who was probably a year younger than me, opened the door for me. I said it was the first time I was in here on a Saturday and I wasn't sure why my card wasn't working. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on the planet and said, "Did you enter your pin?"
Of course! My pin! Duh. I'd completely forgotten. You have to enter your pin on the weekends and on week nights after seven. So I swiped my card at the door to get into the actual building (he had only let me into the lobby) and then stood there for a moment as the light blinked yellow waiting for me to enter my precious pin number.
I turned to the security guard, "Um. What would the - "
"It's the last four digits of your social security number."
"Ah, thank you."
He goes back to whatever important thing he was doing on the computer and I have another moment of panic as I try to recall the last four digits of my social security number. I finally got it and then came up here.
ALL the lights were off and there is NO ONE here. That's fair, right? I figured out where the lights were at least without having to call security. He would have LOVED that. : )
So, here I am for the next couple hours. I can hardly wait for the fun to begin.
In the morning, that is. And guess where I am. Nope, not at home snuggled up on the couch with a good book. Nope, not out hanging out with Sarah and Paul. Nope, not even off visiting with my parents.
I am at work.
You heard right. Work.
Ever since I started here back in February my boss has occasionally said on a Friday that if I want to I'm welcome to come in on the weekend. Now, we all know that when a boss says "welcome to" it means "come in on the weekend and get some work done or you're not going to be here long". Thing is, I haven't been able to the three or four other times he's asked due to one reason or another. Once it was because we were leaving for CIII soon and I hadn't finished packing and such.
The weekends are my own. That's the time I have to myself so that I won't kill my co-workers during normal business hours. But here I am. I'm a temp and I figure if I want to stay here as long as the other temps have (one of them three years) I'd better come in occasionally.
I pulled into the employee parking lot on the side of EMC and noticed I was the ONLY car there. I thought that was odd but proceeded to walk up to the side entrance that employees use during the week. I swipe my ID card. . . nothing. So I walked (I should have driven; it's a big building) around to the front entrance. Swiped my card. . . nothing.
I had to knock on the glass and the security guy, who was probably a year younger than me, opened the door for me. I said it was the first time I was in here on a Saturday and I wasn't sure why my card wasn't working. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on the planet and said, "Did you enter your pin?"
Of course! My pin! Duh. I'd completely forgotten. You have to enter your pin on the weekends and on week nights after seven. So I swiped my card at the door to get into the actual building (he had only let me into the lobby) and then stood there for a moment as the light blinked yellow waiting for me to enter my precious pin number.
I turned to the security guard, "Um. What would the - "
"It's the last four digits of your social security number."
"Ah, thank you."
He goes back to whatever important thing he was doing on the computer and I have another moment of panic as I try to recall the last four digits of my social security number. I finally got it and then came up here.
ALL the lights were off and there is NO ONE here. That's fair, right? I figured out where the lights were at least without having to call security. He would have LOVED that. : )
So, here I am for the next couple hours. I can hardly wait for the fun to begin.
Comments