Batman - mini review
This is a mini review because the guys at L&N line already did it a bunch of times and said everything I have to say so go read theirs too. There are no spoilers in mine, I don't think.
This movie redeems Batman. And I don't mean the character; I mean the films. I've loved Batman forever, but I could never stomach the movies. They were always poorly done and too comic-bookish. I know that everyone says they are a comic book and so should look like that, but the film makers really sacrificed style for comic book look.
Batman Begins doesn't do that. A quick summary - Christian Bale is my new favorite actor (okay, not really. Patrick Stewart still takes the cake, but he's close). Katie Holmes' character could have been played by anyone, but she was fine and didn't ruin the film or anything. Morgan Freeman is outstanding as always and makes the line "Didn't you get the memo?" one of the most memorable this year. Gary Oldman is actually a normal person. Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. And you know what? We like him like that.
Liam Neeson's character is so good (c'mon, it's Qui Gon. He has to be good.) and they take a spin with it that I didn't expect. Michael Caine is great as Alfred. Really really great. I didn't like scarecrow. He was borderline gay and very annoying and fem-like. But I suppose they had to have some recognition of how far these films have come.
I LOVE the ending with the hint towards the next movie. Here's to finally bringing Batman up to par with Spiderman! May the old movies rest in peace.
This movie redeems Batman. And I don't mean the character; I mean the films. I've loved Batman forever, but I could never stomach the movies. They were always poorly done and too comic-bookish. I know that everyone says they are a comic book and so should look like that, but the film makers really sacrificed style for comic book look.
Batman Begins doesn't do that. A quick summary - Christian Bale is my new favorite actor (okay, not really. Patrick Stewart still takes the cake, but he's close). Katie Holmes' character could have been played by anyone, but she was fine and didn't ruin the film or anything. Morgan Freeman is outstanding as always and makes the line "Didn't you get the memo?" one of the most memorable this year. Gary Oldman is actually a normal person. Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. And you know what? We like him like that.
Liam Neeson's character is so good (c'mon, it's Qui Gon. He has to be good.) and they take a spin with it that I didn't expect. Michael Caine is great as Alfred. Really really great. I didn't like scarecrow. He was borderline gay and very annoying and fem-like. But I suppose they had to have some recognition of how far these films have come.
I LOVE the ending with the hint towards the next movie. Here's to finally bringing Batman up to par with Spiderman! May the old movies rest in peace.
Comments