Summer Reading Assignment

For our nine month anniversary John got me a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card. Here is how I spent it:

Hinterland – I just finished this and it was not quite what I expected. The back made it sound like an investigative reporter gets caught up in a skins gang. Not quite. It’s more just a bunch of nutty terrorists who lead cultish lives. It was disappointing in that I expected something else, but if I had read it without any perceptions I would have liked it more.

To Have and to Hold – I’m reading this now. It’s a typical Jane Green novel. But I find them comforting. I love her novel Bookends.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin – despite having knowledge of this book and what it’s about (I haven’t been living in a cave for my entire life) I have never read it. I found it on the summer reading list book table and thought “why not?” I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m not in the mood for something depressing right now. But I will.

I got the next Dragonlance book that comes after the Legends series too. Drawing a blank on that. I needed to take a break from DL anyway. I read all of Chronicles and then John bought me the annotated Legends (very cool notes in the side bar. I loved it.) So now I’m reading some other stuff first.

My mom is letting me borrow the Da Vinci Code. God knows when I’ll get around to that. I have many books on my shelves.

I bought The Time Traveler’s Wife like a year ago. Along with Dogs of Babel, Jemima J, the Art of War(which John says I'll hate since I'm such a hippie, but I think he's wrong because I love history and novels like that so I guess we'll see), War and Peace, and Dave Eggers You Shall know our Velocity. He wrote A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which I loved BEFORE it became popular to love it thankyouverymuch.

I have a couple other books on my to-read list that I’m drawing a blank on now. Maybe I’ll add them in a second version of this post. I’d love to do some honest good reviews after I’ve read them all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Questions from my Favorite Movie Reviewer

ROTS Review - it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream

Update from the road