Summer Reading Assignment

For our nine month anniversary John got me a $50 Barnes and Noble gift card. Here is how I spent it:

Hinterland – I just finished this and it was not quite what I expected. The back made it sound like an investigative reporter gets caught up in a skins gang. Not quite. It’s more just a bunch of nutty terrorists who lead cultish lives. It was disappointing in that I expected something else, but if I had read it without any perceptions I would have liked it more.

To Have and to Hold – I’m reading this now. It’s a typical Jane Green novel. But I find them comforting. I love her novel Bookends.

Uncle Tom’s Cabin – despite having knowledge of this book and what it’s about (I haven’t been living in a cave for my entire life) I have never read it. I found it on the summer reading list book table and thought “why not?” I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m not in the mood for something depressing right now. But I will.

I got the next Dragonlance book that comes after the Legends series too. Drawing a blank on that. I needed to take a break from DL anyway. I read all of Chronicles and then John bought me the annotated Legends (very cool notes in the side bar. I loved it.) So now I’m reading some other stuff first.

My mom is letting me borrow the Da Vinci Code. God knows when I’ll get around to that. I have many books on my shelves.

I bought The Time Traveler’s Wife like a year ago. Along with Dogs of Babel, Jemima J, the Art of War(which John says I'll hate since I'm such a hippie, but I think he's wrong because I love history and novels like that so I guess we'll see), War and Peace, and Dave Eggers You Shall know our Velocity. He wrote A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, which I loved BEFORE it became popular to love it thankyouverymuch.

I have a couple other books on my to-read list that I’m drawing a blank on now. Maybe I’ll add them in a second version of this post. I’d love to do some honest good reviews after I’ve read them all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROTS Review - it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream

Update from the road

Great Questions from my Favorite Movie Reviewer