Top 100 Countdown

As we all know, and as was brought to my attention once again recently, those TV shows that always try to do the top 100 countdown of movie quotes never quite get it right. They get all the logical ones in (for the most part), but tend to forget some really memorable lines. Now, I’m not saying that my taste would suit everyone, but I’d like to give it a shot in the tiny forum I have available to me – my blog. They won’t be in any particular order. That’s just too much for me to think about. And instead of my top 100 movie quotes, I’m going to do my top 50 movie quotes and my top 50 book quotes. Books are just as important, if not more so, so they get included too.

First off – movies then the next entry will be about books (and maybe some other quotes too).

I know there's no possible way I'm going to get every quote I want in. I'm sure that weeks from now I'll still keep coming back to this entry and thinking, "Why didn't I include THAT?" But I'll try my best.

I’m starting off with a quote that I feel is often overlooked. Every time I looked up quotes from this movie, this one was never included and to me it is the most important quote in there. It’s kind of long so bear with me. So to start off our list:

1. The truth is, I don’t’ really learn that much about your faith by asking questions like that, because those aren’t questions about faith; those are questions about religion. And it’s very important to understand the difference between religion and faith. Because faith is not about having the right answers. Faith is a feeling. Faith is a hunch, really. It’s a hunch that there is something bigger connecting it all, connecting us all together. And that feeling, that hunch, is God. And coming here tonight on your Sunday evening to connect with that feelings; that is an act of faith. –Father Brian Finn (Ed Norton), Keeping the Faith

2. Dante: But you hate people.
Randal: yes, but I love gatherings. Isn’t it ironic? –Clerks

3. James: What are you doing Saturday?
Helen: Probably killing myself.
James: Excellent. What time does that finish? Do you like boats? –Sliding Doors

4. Whistler: I want peace on earth and good will toward man.
Abbott: We are the United State government. We don’t DO that sort of thing. –Sneakers

5. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. –Fight Club

6. Kyle: That bad huh?
Francesca: My father? No, whatever. I mean, you know “poor little rich girl” thing’s a little played out, don’t you think? It’s like the oldest story in the world isn’t it?
Kyle: Not if it’s your story. –The Perfect Score

7. Summer romances begin for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common. They’re shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, fleeting glimpse of eternity, and in a flash they’re gone. –Noah, The Notebook

8. We came to wreck everything and ruin your life. God sent us. –Romper Stomper

9. I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue. –Airplane

10. Davina: Look who's talking about respecting the law? Mr. K.K.K. here
Derek: That's two errors in one sentence, Davina, so take a fucking course in semantics. First error - I didn't say I respect the law. I said I respect a cop's authority. Second error... I'm not a member of the fuckin' low rent, disorganized, redneck Ku Klux Klan.. Pull your head outta your ass and look at who you're dealing with. --American History X

11. Alright you primitive screw-heads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick! . . .That's right, shop smart, shop S-Mart! –Ash (Bruce Campbell), Army of Darkness

12. Crazy is on the bus. –Lt. Danny Roman, The Negotiator

13. Hey, how come Andrew gets to get up? If he gets up . . . we'll all get up . . . it'll be anarchy! –Bender, The Breakfast Club

14. "Empire" had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader is his father, uh, Han gets frozen, taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets. –Dante, Clerks

15. [T]he first of many revamps the "Catholicism WOW!" campaign will unveil over the next year . . . I give you the Buddy Christ. –Cardinal, Dogma

16. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. –Col. Jessep, A Few Good Men

17. I want you to hit me as hard as you can. –Tyler, Fight Club

18. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill. –Full Metal Jacket

19. How can you shoot women and children?
You just don’t lead ‘em so much! –Full Metal Jacket

20. Capt. Hiller: What do you say we try that again?
David: yes, yes, yes. Without the oops. –Independence Day

21. I love black people!! –Jerry Maguire

22. Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, reminds us to cherish every moment because they’ll never come again. –Picard, Generations

23. Luke: Your overconfidence is your weakness.
Emperor: Your faith in your friends is yours. –ROTJ

24. Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die! –Princess Bride

25. But I still felt a fraud. I was like all those people who suddenly shaved their heads and said they’d always been punks. They’d been punks before punk was even thought of. –High Fidelity

26. It is better to be the right hand of the devil than in his path. –Benny, The Mummy

27. Gorkon: I offer a toast; the undiscovered country. . .the future.
Spock: Hamlet. Act three, scene one. . . . . .
Chang: We need breathing room.
Kirk: Earth. Hitler, 1938 –Star Trek Five

28. I don’t doubt myself because of you. I feel like the best version of myself around you and that makes me doubt everything else. –Father Brian Finn, Keeping the Faith

29. It’s been long enough that I can’t quite remember why I shouldn’t go [home]. –Warren (Noah Wyle), The Myth of Fingerprints

30. Look, I’m not with everyone here. . .But I will take a piece of him. ::pointing:: --Vin Diesel, Chronicles of Riddick

31. I’m not going (on a 30 day pass home). I’ve already seen the states. I grew up there. That’s why I came to Europe. Just wish they’d told me there was a war on. –Nixon, Band of Brothers

32. I’m a paranoid schizophrenic. I AM my own entourage.—John Cusak, America’s Sweethearts

33. Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t’ see that. Seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there. Fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the twin towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge. They were messages of love. I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually IS all around. –Prime Minister (Hugh Grant), Love Actually

34. That kid is back on the escalator again. . .I hope his pants get caught and a bloodbath ensues. –Mallrats

35. So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life. --Peter, Office Space

36. You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town? –Trent, Swingers

37. Dying together's even more personal than living together. –Connie, Lifeboat

38. Smollet: Your finger hired the crew?
Trelawney: No, that's silly. The man who lives in my finger hired the crew, Mr. Bimbol. –Muppet Treasure Island

39. Captain, I believe I speak for everyone here, sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders. –Data, Star Trek: First contact

40. How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong? –Capt. Picard, Star Trek: Insurrection

41. You have the bridge... Mr. Troi. –Capt. Picard, Star Trek: Nemesis

42. It doesn't matter what Lucy said. I stopped trusting her after she stole my pop rocks in the third grade. –Matt, 13 going on 30

43. Don't look for a happy ending. It's not an American story. It's an Irish one. –Rory, The Devil’s Own

44. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of. –Holden, Chasing Amy

45. John: What if I told you that God and the devil made a wager, a kind of standing bet for the souls of all mankind?
Angela: I’d tell you to stay on your meds. –Constantine

46. You are everything I never knew I always wanted. –Matthew Perry, Fools Rush In

47. The lad doesn't say much and when he does, he finds just the right words to crush my soul. –Joan, Playing by Heart

48. Michael Moore: Do you know that on the day of the Columbine massacre, the US dropped more bombs on Kosovo than any other day?

Marilyn Manson: I do know that, and I think that's really ironic, that nobody said 'well maybe the President had an influence on this violent behavior' Because that's not the way the media wants to take it and spin it, and turn it into fear, because then you're watching television, you're watching the news, you're being pumped full of fear, there's floods, there's AIDS, there's murder, cut to commercial, buy the Acura, buy the Colgate, if you have bad breath they're not going to talk to you, if you have pimples, the girl's not going to fuck you, and it's just this campaign of fear, and consumption, and that's what I think it's all based on, the whole idea of 'keep everyone afraid, and they'll consume.' –Bowling for Columbine

49. Nobody tosses a dwarf. –Gimli, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

50. There is no spoon? –Neo, The Matrix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROTS Review - it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream

Update from the road

Great Questions from my Favorite Movie Reviewer