Father Kevin
The meeting went very well. I'll repost the update that I just posted to the Catholic forum because it took long enough to type and I'm not going to retype it and reword it and all that. So if something seems slightly off, just remember it was originally intended for a Catholic forum where I've been a member for a little while and have had some ups and downs with the people there. Here's my summary:
We met with Father Kevin (here on known as "FK" because I do not want to type it over and over again) at 6:30 thursday. My FI (fiancee) went to confession/reconcilliation earlier in the day to get that over with so that I wouldn't have to really talk about too many details. FK is just about my FI's age, a couple years older, so he's very easy going and not all the letter of the law type of priest, which was great.
We sat and talked until 9:30 at night!! The first half hour was mostly about the annullment. He just took down some general info like how old I was when I got married and what religion we were and if it was a religious or civil ceremony. He should have put a call in yesterday to their canon law contact in their area about if I will even need an annullment because I'm not baptized or married under the trinity. He seemed to think we wouldn't but he said he's not an expert so he should hear back about it by at least next Wednesday. I just want them to say I don't need it so that for once in my life things will be a little easier than they could be.
I told him about this forum and how helpful some of the people have been and how that's how I knew at least some of the stuff about the annullment. He seemed very pleased that most had been pleasant to me. I told him how the first time I asked a question about me and FI getting married I was told "you and your friend should part ways. . ." He was totally shocked and said that's not what the church teaches at all and that as long as you are both spiritual people you can find things in common and share that with one another. It's more difficult, yes, but you shouldn't not get married jjust because of religion. I really liked that. Then I told him the next time I came back and tried again everyone was much more accepting so I must just have gotten the "old school" people on here the first time. I think he might even check this forum out. He said it sounded interesting.
So we got the annullment/background stuff out of the way and then the three of us just sat and chatted about religion and other things for a couple hours. He told us about his training in Rome and how he was a hermit for a couple years and stuff like that. All very interesting. I always like learning about other religions. And he asked me questions about JWs because he didn't really know anything about us at all. I told him about how we don't celebrate holidays, believe in the trinity, the cross, etc. He was very interested and understanding.
My FI was really happy that I took such an interest and was asking so many questions. I found it all very informative. I did tell him I wasn't interested in any way in converting but that I have no problem with balancing out our religious lives now and also when we have children. I told him how I don't care if they go to "grammy and gramps'" house to open presents or something but I don't want a Christmas tree in my house for example. He didn't seeme shocked by that at all and was just fine with all of it. He said that a group from his church even gets together with. . . I can't remember the name of the relligion now, but it was one that is very different from Catholocism. . .and they get together with a group from that church and pray together because that's the one thing they have in common. Isn't that nice?
So to sum up, it went REALLY well. And I asked if we don't have to have the annullment what will we have to go through to get married? He said we'd just put through the "disparity of cult" forms (that only takes a few days) and I laughed and made some joke about how I was never so glad to be called a cult in my life. He thought that was funny. Very easy going guy. Then he said we just make an appointment to attend a pre cana class. But in their district it only lasts one day, not a whole weekend. Rock! lol. And then we can go to a concert that the organist has at the church every once in a while and pick out all our wedding songs and verses and stuff. Kinda neat. We asked if he'd marry us and he said he'd love to and we also asked how popular October is in the church and he said it's pretty much wide open and it shouldn't be a problem.
So, here's hoping that I don't need the annullment. I haven't prayed about it yet. I know that we pretty much pray to the same God, but I feel kind of silly praying to Jehovah about not needing a Catholic annullment.
So there's my story. Hope you all enjoyed my long winded review of it.
So thanks for listening and have a great day all.
And. . . .END SCENE!
We met with Father Kevin (here on known as "FK" because I do not want to type it over and over again) at 6:30 thursday. My FI (fiancee) went to confession/reconcilliation earlier in the day to get that over with so that I wouldn't have to really talk about too many details. FK is just about my FI's age, a couple years older, so he's very easy going and not all the letter of the law type of priest, which was great.
We sat and talked until 9:30 at night!! The first half hour was mostly about the annullment. He just took down some general info like how old I was when I got married and what religion we were and if it was a religious or civil ceremony. He should have put a call in yesterday to their canon law contact in their area about if I will even need an annullment because I'm not baptized or married under the trinity. He seemed to think we wouldn't but he said he's not an expert so he should hear back about it by at least next Wednesday. I just want them to say I don't need it so that for once in my life things will be a little easier than they could be.
I told him about this forum and how helpful some of the people have been and how that's how I knew at least some of the stuff about the annullment. He seemed very pleased that most had been pleasant to me. I told him how the first time I asked a question about me and FI getting married I was told "you and your friend should part ways. . ." He was totally shocked and said that's not what the church teaches at all and that as long as you are both spiritual people you can find things in common and share that with one another. It's more difficult, yes, but you shouldn't not get married jjust because of religion. I really liked that. Then I told him the next time I came back and tried again everyone was much more accepting so I must just have gotten the "old school" people on here the first time. I think he might even check this forum out. He said it sounded interesting.
So we got the annullment/background stuff out of the way and then the three of us just sat and chatted about religion and other things for a couple hours. He told us about his training in Rome and how he was a hermit for a couple years and stuff like that. All very interesting. I always like learning about other religions. And he asked me questions about JWs because he didn't really know anything about us at all. I told him about how we don't celebrate holidays, believe in the trinity, the cross, etc. He was very interested and understanding.
My FI was really happy that I took such an interest and was asking so many questions. I found it all very informative. I did tell him I wasn't interested in any way in converting but that I have no problem with balancing out our religious lives now and also when we have children. I told him how I don't care if they go to "grammy and gramps'" house to open presents or something but I don't want a Christmas tree in my house for example. He didn't seeme shocked by that at all and was just fine with all of it. He said that a group from his church even gets together with. . . I can't remember the name of the relligion now, but it was one that is very different from Catholocism. . .and they get together with a group from that church and pray together because that's the one thing they have in common. Isn't that nice?
So to sum up, it went REALLY well. And I asked if we don't have to have the annullment what will we have to go through to get married? He said we'd just put through the "disparity of cult" forms (that only takes a few days) and I laughed and made some joke about how I was never so glad to be called a cult in my life. He thought that was funny. Very easy going guy. Then he said we just make an appointment to attend a pre cana class. But in their district it only lasts one day, not a whole weekend. Rock! lol. And then we can go to a concert that the organist has at the church every once in a while and pick out all our wedding songs and verses and stuff. Kinda neat. We asked if he'd marry us and he said he'd love to and we also asked how popular October is in the church and he said it's pretty much wide open and it shouldn't be a problem.
So, here's hoping that I don't need the annullment. I haven't prayed about it yet. I know that we pretty much pray to the same God, but I feel kind of silly praying to Jehovah about not needing a Catholic annullment.
So there's my story. Hope you all enjoyed my long winded review of it.
So thanks for listening and have a great day all.
And. . . .END SCENE!
Comments