RENT

it's time now
to sing out
though the story never ends
lets celebrate
remember a year
in the life of friends
remember the love. . . .


one song
glory
one song
before I go
glory
one song to leave behind!

No day but today.

This movie was. . . an experience.
John bought out tickets online a few days before opening night. Good thing too. We got there about an hour early and were the first into the theater. John is the only guy I've ever felt comfortable enough to sit in the middle of the theater with. I used to have to be on the end of the row or I'd flip out, but for the past year I sit right in the middle of the row, middle of the theater. I love it!

After about fifteen minutes the teenage girls and homosexual teenage guys started piling in (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Jenn would say). I swear, an entire theater group from a high school must have gotten tickets together. They filled up 3/4 of the theater and everyone knew everyone. Someone would walk in the door and you'd hear 20 hellos. I really wanted to lean over and ask, but I didn't want to be the old creepy lady who annoys them when they're out having fun with their friends. ;)

They were fairly loud through "the twenty", this cheesy 20 minute segment that Regal theaters does to amuse people. I guess it's better than seeing the same three trivia questions scroll across the screen and listening to country music. I was worried all the teens were going to talk through the previews, one of my favorite things about the movies. But they quieted down for the most part. We sat through some unimpressive previews and then. . . . seasons of love came on with all eight characters in spotlights on the stage. I was shaking with excitement about finally seeing this made into a movie.

One of the girls in front of us mimicked Joanne's hand movements for a moment but then someone in back told her to shut the hell up and she quieted down for the most part again. The rest of the movie was peaceful.

If you were just walking in off the street I think this movie can still make an impact on you. Some of the parts they chose to say instead of sing sounded odd to me but that's because I've been listening to the soundtrack for nearly ten years now. I'm used to hearing those in song. The characters were perfect. how could they not be since they were the original broadway cast? I love Mark! I think I can relate to him the best.

I'm not a big fan of the homosexual lifestyle, I must say. I have no problem with the person but I have a definite problem with the way they live their lives. So I thought (as I did when I saw the play a few years ago) that Angel would really bother me since (s)he's pretty. . . flamboyant. But you just fall in love with the character, with all the characters, and the story could apply to anything in life. There's no way you can't find something to relate to in this film.

The music was phenomenal of course. I really loved the way they did the tango scene with Joanne and Mark and the scene between Joanne and Maureen with "take me or leave me" was just awesome! There were parts where you laughed out loud that you might not have when you went to see the play because with a movie on the big screen you can actually see character's facial expressions and the sarcasm in them or the joking manner.

I can't wait to see this film again. Even John was moved by it. That's a really good review to me. If he can sit there and actually have things to discuss after a musical like RENT I will definitely consider that a winner. He even started singing One Song Glory along with Roger when it started. I thought that was great!

I'm probably going to see it again on Saturday. My friend Desiree really wants to see it with me. I haven't seen her since before I got disfellowshipped. She's DFd too and living with her boyfriend. But I don't know if they are really the best association right now (for other reasons) so I've been kind of avoiding hanging out with her. But I think that a night out at the movies is safe enough. And maybe Paul and Sarah will go too. That'd be fun. I know Paul wants to see it since he was in chorus with Dez and I when we all learned some of the songs from this. . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROTS Review - it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream

Update from the road

Great Questions from my Favorite Movie Reviewer