Some Days I Love my Job
Today we had CS training in another building from 9-12. So the three of us took the shuttle over to it and goofed off the whole way over. It was like old times. Conversation has been at least polite and semi-friendly so that's good.
I did just deal with the jerk on the phone, though. He calls up looking for a CDL key and says that when he registered in Plink he got a 30 day key but he wants a permanent. So I told him to send me an email. We are an email ONLY group. The keys are case sensitive in most cases and are sometimes long sets of numbers so we give them out over email, NOT over the phone. So he says (in what I thought was a totally hypothetical just looking to bother me sort of way), "What do you do for government agencies that can't access email?" But then he goes on to say that he'd just have to leave the building to get email and all this stuff. So I asked if he'd have access before the 30 day temp key was up. He sighs and says, "Let me talk to your manager." Whatever. So I let him talk to C. She sent him back to us and B happened to get the phone and had to give him a key over the phone cuz he works in some top secret agency. But still.... I was trying to help him. He just didn't care. Then of course he was all pleasant to B. People suck.
But here's the other reason my day was good....
I just went in to talk to P and C, my managers. See, when I first started in this department, I said I wanted to stay a temp worker because I thought the pay would be better. But as time goes on I'm realizing that vacation time might be a nice thing to have and that I should really be thinking about the future (i.e. permanent employees get maternity leave, temps don't). So I wanted to make sure that they knew that so that I wouldn't miss an opportunity to go permanent.
They said that wasn't a problem and that they would have asked me anyway then C said she had an awkward question for me. I was all nervous, but it turns out that they had found out I was a Jehovah's Witness and they said they have xmas gifts for us all and they didn't want me to be offended. I guess back in the day C had tried to give a woman in her work group a rose on mother's day and the woman said she couldnt' accept it cuz she was a JW. I think that's taking it a bit far, personally. If anything, stuff like that is an opportunity to thank someone for their generosity and then use that to explain why you don't celebrate a certain thing. But this woman was obviously a bit more strict than I.
So I told them that I was glad they thought of me and I'd be more than happy to receive a gift. They told me to keep it quiet from J and B though so I shall. I think it's always nice to have bosses that think of their employees like that. When I was working at the insurance company two of the group managers got me really nice gifts at xmas time. My own boss didn't even give me a bonus or a card or anything. But these two managers both thought of me so that was really sweet of them.
so that is why (some days at least) I love my job. On-call again tonight. I only got one call in the two nights I've been on-call. I think it's because I've stayed in the inbox until about 1 a.m. so no one has the chance to bitch. 6 more nights to go....
I did just deal with the jerk on the phone, though. He calls up looking for a CDL key and says that when he registered in Plink he got a 30 day key but he wants a permanent. So I told him to send me an email. We are an email ONLY group. The keys are case sensitive in most cases and are sometimes long sets of numbers so we give them out over email, NOT over the phone. So he says (in what I thought was a totally hypothetical just looking to bother me sort of way), "What do you do for government agencies that can't access email?" But then he goes on to say that he'd just have to leave the building to get email and all this stuff. So I asked if he'd have access before the 30 day temp key was up. He sighs and says, "Let me talk to your manager." Whatever. So I let him talk to C. She sent him back to us and B happened to get the phone and had to give him a key over the phone cuz he works in some top secret agency. But still.... I was trying to help him. He just didn't care. Then of course he was all pleasant to B. People suck.
But here's the other reason my day was good....
I just went in to talk to P and C, my managers. See, when I first started in this department, I said I wanted to stay a temp worker because I thought the pay would be better. But as time goes on I'm realizing that vacation time might be a nice thing to have and that I should really be thinking about the future (i.e. permanent employees get maternity leave, temps don't). So I wanted to make sure that they knew that so that I wouldn't miss an opportunity to go permanent.
They said that wasn't a problem and that they would have asked me anyway then C said she had an awkward question for me. I was all nervous, but it turns out that they had found out I was a Jehovah's Witness and they said they have xmas gifts for us all and they didn't want me to be offended. I guess back in the day C had tried to give a woman in her work group a rose on mother's day and the woman said she couldnt' accept it cuz she was a JW. I think that's taking it a bit far, personally. If anything, stuff like that is an opportunity to thank someone for their generosity and then use that to explain why you don't celebrate a certain thing. But this woman was obviously a bit more strict than I.
So I told them that I was glad they thought of me and I'd be more than happy to receive a gift. They told me to keep it quiet from J and B though so I shall. I think it's always nice to have bosses that think of their employees like that. When I was working at the insurance company two of the group managers got me really nice gifts at xmas time. My own boss didn't even give me a bonus or a card or anything. But these two managers both thought of me so that was really sweet of them.
so that is why (some days at least) I love my job. On-call again tonight. I only got one call in the two nights I've been on-call. I think it's because I've stayed in the inbox until about 1 a.m. so no one has the chance to bitch. 6 more nights to go....
Comments