He ruined the punch line of many a good joke
My uncle passed away Saturday morning. He was only 60, had been sick for a while. He's my mom's sister's husband. My favorite aunt. They're all my favorites, but she's my favorite you know?
John took me to the calling hours tonight. I said hi to my aunt and my cousins (he had three daughters) and my parents were there. Dad and I chatted football for the first time in my life (I actually watched and enjoyed the superbowl last night) and my mom told John if he could get me do that he must be amazing. My Aunt Mary was here; we don't see her often. My Aunt Yvette, my Gramps' girlfriend of 25 years (!!!), showed up towards the end and I couldn't talk to her before she got into the line so I'll catch her tomorrow I hope. My Mom's favorite uncle - uncle Bill - showed up. 84 (or so) and still swimming every day with the 16 year old life guards down at the Jewish community center. My family rocks.
The funeral is tomorrow. I don't do well at funerals. Calling hours are one thing. Yes, it's sad (and disturbing) to see the body out and all that. But the funeral is when they invoke all the Catholic mumbo jumbo and the memories of the deceased and the combination makes me cry every time.
They had the wake tonight at the same funeral home my Gramps' was held at. Surreal.
The obituary was one of the best I've read. It was really nice of them to say that he was close to us (his nieces and nephews) and to mention us in it. Not by name, but there's a lot of us and let's face it; they didn't have to mention us at all.
I also thought it was great that they listed Worcester, MA and Moody Beach, ME as his residence. The whole family has spent summers in Wells, ME since before I was born. My Gramps and Grandma built two cottages up there side by side and then my aunt and uncle also bought a house down the street. It's my safe place, Maine.
(I've left out the important stuff just cuz anyone who needs to know all of it would by now anyway.)
John took me to the calling hours tonight. I said hi to my aunt and my cousins (he had three daughters) and my parents were there. Dad and I chatted football for the first time in my life (I actually watched and enjoyed the superbowl last night) and my mom told John if he could get me do that he must be amazing. My Aunt Mary was here; we don't see her often. My Aunt Yvette, my Gramps' girlfriend of 25 years (!!!), showed up towards the end and I couldn't talk to her before she got into the line so I'll catch her tomorrow I hope. My Mom's favorite uncle - uncle Bill - showed up. 84 (or so) and still swimming every day with the 16 year old life guards down at the Jewish community center. My family rocks.
The funeral is tomorrow. I don't do well at funerals. Calling hours are one thing. Yes, it's sad (and disturbing) to see the body out and all that. But the funeral is when they invoke all the Catholic mumbo jumbo and the memories of the deceased and the combination makes me cry every time.
They had the wake tonight at the same funeral home my Gramps' was held at. Surreal.
The obituary was one of the best I've read. It was really nice of them to say that he was close to us (his nieces and nephews) and to mention us in it. Not by name, but there's a lot of us and let's face it; they didn't have to mention us at all.
I also thought it was great that they listed Worcester, MA and Moody Beach, ME as his residence. The whole family has spent summers in Wells, ME since before I was born. My Gramps and Grandma built two cottages up there side by side and then my aunt and uncle also bought a house down the street. It's my safe place, Maine.
(I've left out the important stuff just cuz anyone who needs to know all of it would by now anyway.)
WORCESTER & MOODY BEACH, ME-Robert V. E., 60, of Worcester died Saturday, February 4, 2006. He leaves his wife of 36 years, Susan E.; three daughters, Erin, wife of Michael, Meghan, wife of John and Shannon, wife of James; three grandchildren Madison and Alex and Sean; a sister, Susan, several nephews and nieces. He was extremely close with his brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law and nephews and nieces.
Bye Uncle Bob. I really need to not watch depressing movies like "My Girl" right now. Time to turn off the TV and go to bed...
He was born in Providence, RI, son of (info left out), graduated from St. John’s High School and University of Massachusetts. was a self-employed Certified Public Accountant for many years. He was a member of the Massachusetts Society of Certified Public Accountants and the Worcester Lodge of Elks. He enjoyed his summers in Moody Beach, Maine as well as spending time with his grandchildren and he ruined the punch line of many a good joke.
(funeral info left out) Please omit flowers and make contributions to Abby’s House, 52 High Street, Worcester, MA 01609 or Worcester County Food Bank, 474 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA 01545.
Comments