Nerve Wracking
Most of my teenage life I had silly jobs that didn't really mean much to me. I worked at a video store, I waitressed, I worked as a part-time secretary at my ex husband's work...
Usually I was never around a place long enough for a review. The one time I was, I bombed horribly because the boss had some unreal expectations of what my job description was. I walked out being told we'd see how it went for a month and if it went well I'd get a raise then. I never got the raise. Two months passsed, then three, and then I got a divorce and my life went straight to hell for about five confusing months.
I like my job now. It's stressful and some of it can really get to me sometimes, but I do like it. It's the most important job I've ever had and I really feel needed. I'd feel more needed if I were a permanent employee, but there's nothing that can be done about that at the moment.
The permanent employees are going through their self assessments now. J and B have done theirs and they are meeting with our manager today to go over them and see how theirs match up to what the manager said. I was half joking that I get to get out of it because I'm a temp. I did feel a little left out, though. It's hard to be the one person in the group who is considered not a real team member because of their job status. Then our manager came in to drop off their assessments with the other two girls and she said to me that she didn't want me to feel left out so she would be meeting with me as well.
First thought? "NO!!" Second thought - "That's nice of her to think of me and treat me like a 'real' employee." Now I'm going back and forth between those two feelings. I am kind of nervous. I can't really think of much that they could complain about with me. I did miss three weeks of work, but I provided a doctor's note for all of them and I also worked from home the entire time and even took my on-call time. I take cases just as quickly as the other girls now, sometimes faster. I know most everything they do. What I don't know, I ask about and sometimes they ask me things too. It's not as if they have nothing to learn from me either. I'm only iffy in a couple products because I have never had to use the program that we use for them. We get few requests for it and I didn't have access to it until about a month ago so it was unavoidable that I wouldnt' have that much experience with it.
That's about it, though. I come to work on time and stay until I'm supposed to and then I go home and work from home, sometimes even when it's not my day to be on-call. I go above and beyond pretty much. So what am I worried about? I have so much riding on this job. John and I being able to afford the condo, our wedding, our pets, etc. That's a lot of pressure.
Not that I think they're going to fire me. Just that I get nervous with this type of stuff. I just want to get it over with at this point. :)
Usually I was never around a place long enough for a review. The one time I was, I bombed horribly because the boss had some unreal expectations of what my job description was. I walked out being told we'd see how it went for a month and if it went well I'd get a raise then. I never got the raise. Two months passsed, then three, and then I got a divorce and my life went straight to hell for about five confusing months.
I like my job now. It's stressful and some of it can really get to me sometimes, but I do like it. It's the most important job I've ever had and I really feel needed. I'd feel more needed if I were a permanent employee, but there's nothing that can be done about that at the moment.
The permanent employees are going through their self assessments now. J and B have done theirs and they are meeting with our manager today to go over them and see how theirs match up to what the manager said. I was half joking that I get to get out of it because I'm a temp. I did feel a little left out, though. It's hard to be the one person in the group who is considered not a real team member because of their job status. Then our manager came in to drop off their assessments with the other two girls and she said to me that she didn't want me to feel left out so she would be meeting with me as well.
First thought? "NO!!" Second thought - "That's nice of her to think of me and treat me like a 'real' employee." Now I'm going back and forth between those two feelings. I am kind of nervous. I can't really think of much that they could complain about with me. I did miss three weeks of work, but I provided a doctor's note for all of them and I also worked from home the entire time and even took my on-call time. I take cases just as quickly as the other girls now, sometimes faster. I know most everything they do. What I don't know, I ask about and sometimes they ask me things too. It's not as if they have nothing to learn from me either. I'm only iffy in a couple products because I have never had to use the program that we use for them. We get few requests for it and I didn't have access to it until about a month ago so it was unavoidable that I wouldnt' have that much experience with it.
That's about it, though. I come to work on time and stay until I'm supposed to and then I go home and work from home, sometimes even when it's not my day to be on-call. I go above and beyond pretty much. So what am I worried about? I have so much riding on this job. John and I being able to afford the condo, our wedding, our pets, etc. That's a lot of pressure.
Not that I think they're going to fire me. Just that I get nervous with this type of stuff. I just want to get it over with at this point. :)
Comments