The Weekend from Hell (except for a few sunny spots)

This was easily the worst on call weekend I have ever had. I have had difficult cases before that take you a couple hours to work out and such but this was ridiculous. It started Friday night on my way home from the 501st event.

A quick side note on that - it was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went. Bagpipe music is a lot of fun and I always love doing the 501st events that are smaller and only involve a few of us. It was me, Jason, Justin, Chris and John (not my John, another one). I took photos all night and talked with some firefighters and EMTs a little bit. The firefighters seemed ticked off about having their pics taken, but then later they cornered me and asked why I didn't take more pictures.... ? Also, the guy running it must have thought there was no way that there would ever be women in the 501st because he would never look at me directly and he kept talking to the guys and asking questions even if I was standing right in front of him. I hate that. Made me wish I had suited up. But taking pictures was more practical.

Anyhoo... I got a call about ten minutes from my house on my way home Friday and thus began the weekend from hell. This customer needed keys for a switch... And the ones they had were already used. They're a one-time use only so this presents a problem. The people wanted me to "magic" some up for them or something. They kept putting me on these con calls (until 1 a.m.!!!) and saying "well, it's midnight here. where am I supposed to get a sales order?" while I'm thinking "it's 1 a.m. here... how do you want me to help you??"

I finally got to go to bed and then Saturday morning I had to run out to the bank and the post office because I pay my rent weekly (don't ask). On my way to the bank I get another phone call on another issue so I have to rush through all of that stuff and then go right home again to take care of the call. Then I packed up Pixel and my laundry and headed over to my parents' house where fortunately I didn't get any calls.

On my way home from there I got yet another call. So I had to rush Pixel upstairs, log in to my computer, take care of that, and then run downstairs and get the poor lovebirds out of my car. I had finally picked them up from my parents' house. So I brought them in from the rain. It is STILL raining. Augh.

Then I thought maybe I'd get together with Sarah, Paul and Joe, but it turned out the boys were out repoing so I stayed home. Sarah and I were feeling lazy about meeting up I guess. She had Sadie too. We ended up talking online while we watched "The Object of my Affection" which was fun. We had a nice chat about life, the universe, and everything (douglas adams, people... look it up).

So then on Sunday I skipped the meeting because I was so tired from the on call stuff and I called my dad to see if he was going to bring their old bed over. It's only a full but it's better than a twin and I'll take anything at this point to get me out of that bed. So he came over and we switched out the beds. I never want to move again...
he brought me over their old microwave and my Grammy's old mixer too. That was nice of them.

We ran over to Home Depot to get some boards because the bed frame is slightly bigger than the matress. On our way home I was telling him about the 501st event and we had the oddest discussion.
"So, did you meet any single firefighters?"
::picture me just staring at him as we drive:: "Um... well, I guess some of them were single, but I didn't ask."
"Oh."
"Besides, it wouldn't have mattered anyway."
"Why not?" he asks.
"Because... Mom would freak out."
"Why?"
"Because none of the firefighters would be JWs."
"So?" he asks, seemingly perplexed by the statement.
"Well..." I hesitate, wondering just how much I'm allowed to say in this discussion. "Well, she wants me to get reinstated and marry a nice Witness boy."
"Is that what you want?"
I hesitate again. This could be a really heavy question... "...No."
"Well, then..."
"Sorry, Dad, we haven't gotten to that part in therapy yet where I decide I have to do what's right for me."
And then we moved on to other things.

. . . My dad is on my side.... my dad is on my side.... How cool is that? As Joe said when I was telling him about it, "There aren't any sides." and he's right I guess. But with Mom it sometimes seems like there are sides is all. I'm so happy about that. Not that I'm planning on dating right now, but that if/when I do it won't matter to my dad what religion the guy is.

So then we set up the bed and he headed home. I think I got one on call call shortly after that and then I was just sitting around watching movies on WE so I needed to get some air. I ran across the street and down a ways to Cumberland Farms to get milk and a sandwich. In the rain. Fun.

Then I came home and I was watching some more TV and reading my Bird Talk magazine when Joel IMed me and asked if I was up for some company. Which of course I was. We hadn't seen each other in 12 years so I didn't know how awkward it was going to be, but I don't think it was at all really. We sat there and chatted about some of the kids we went to school with... movies...what we're up to now in life. Pixel was her usual annoyingly cute self. I have such a hard time disciplining her. Brat. :) Joel works third shift so he had to leave around quarter of 8. We're going to see that movie on Friday still, though, so that should be a blast.

After that I watched the series finale of West Wing and didn't cry (so proud of myself) and then I watched Tom Hanks on "inside the actor's studio" where they talked about and showed scenes from The Da Vinci Code. The show was sponsored by the movie so I'm not surprised. It was interesting though. And then I think I just watched some mindless nick at nite and then went to bed in my nice big bed. :)

The on-call phone woke me up at 2:30 a.m. ......

Then the lovebirds woke me up at 6:00. I went in to work two hours late because if I had gotten up at 6 and come in I would have had to hurt someone.

And now here I am at work. It's only noon. I'm trying to wait until at least 1 to go get lunch so that it'll break up my day a bit more. Tomorrow I get to leave a bit early for a doctor's appointment and then I've gotta get through the rest of the week before Friday rolls around.

Next week will be busy too. I've got a hair appointment with Kimmy (cutting it short again just because I can) on Tuesday, another doctor's appointment on Wednesday, and then xmen 3 opens on Friday and I'm hoping I can go see that at some point.

So that was my on call weekend. If I never hear that guys' voice again it will be too soon. Off to do some more work. I guess I should since I'm at work and that's what you do... ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROTS Review - it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream

Update from the road

Great Questions from my Favorite Movie Reviewer